I have a new devlog!
A few years passed since I updated my website, so now it is time to update it with some content.
The plan is to make a devlog about my hobby game engines/frameworks and hopefully some games made with them. I consider participating in game jams as my hobby, so I'm in no rush finishing a big/commercial/successful game. I actually enjoy making little game engines more than finishing any games (It's time to embrace this now. I have no finished games only half working prototypes!), but I hope something fun/playable game will emerge from these efforts, sometimes!
Right now, I'm working on two projects:
An MS-DOS game framework
- Running on DOSBOX and jsdos in browser
- Written in C and ASM.
- Protected mode 32bit with Watcom C and DOS4GW
- Soundblaster 16 bit sound effects / mixing
- AdLib music (playing .RAD tracker music)
- VESA SVGA graphics from 320x200 up to 1270x720
- Fast sprite blitting routines
A game framework based on BABYJON.js
I have re-written this again and again every time I used it in a Ludum Dare. There are many versions from the past, each for different (older) BABYLON version and different physics engine and type of game.
- General setup of the engine's features like cameras, lights, shadows, post-process shaders.
- Entity system (entities, events, game logic and AI) based on Ammo.js physics
- 3D tile maps and path finding.
- Asset loading, loader screen.
- Pixel based GUI (menus, buttons, HUD) and pixel font drawing.
- CRT filter to render in low resolution and upscaling it to look like an old TV or CRT screen.
- Some older versions had many components from Weather/day of time simulation to advanced particle systems, chunked map generation and many-lights management of shadow maps and lights.